I was so inspired by the recently concluded #staycrafty challenge over at the Hero Arts blog. The challenge was to create gift card holders so I thought it would be great to use the beautiful florals from Hero Arts for the inspiration for this month’s challenge.
I made three floral gift cards. The first one being the most involved and the last being the simplest.
For this project, I decided to use watercolor paper because I wanted to do some simple water coloring for the flowers. I took some inexpensive but thick watercolor paper and cut it down to 4″X6.75″. Then using my scoring board, on the 6.75″ side, I scored at 2.25″ and then at 4.75″ to create the folds for my gift card.
I opened up the gift card panel and positioned it on my stamping platform. I took some washi tape and placed it across the upper fold to mask off the area. Then I placed the floral cluster stamp from the My Monthly Hero February 2021 kit on top half of the upper part of the panel. I made sure the stamp stretched across and touched both ends of the panel.
I prepped the panel with anti-static powder before inking it up with embossing ink. I stamped the panel and then heat embossed it using gold embossing powder. After heat setting it, I folded the bottom half of the gift card, flipped it around and stamped and heat embossed it using the same gold embossing powder.
I took the coordinating die and positioned it on the stamped image of the upper half of the panel. After securing it with some washi tape, I positioned the top plate of my die-cutting machine on the upper part of the die and then run it through. This only cut the upper part of the image.
Then I did the same for the other side of the gift card and this is how it looks after all the die-cutting.
To create the closure of the gift card, I took a single floral bud image from the stamp set, stamped it with embossing ink, embossed it in gold and die-cut it. I positioned it on the upper half of the gift card in such a way that part of the flower matched with an image on the the bottom half. I then cut a slit on the lower part to enable the base of the flower bud to go through. If you look closely, it will seem that the flower is part of the overall image when its closed. I placed tiny bead of glue on both sides of the bottom flap and adhered it. This made a perfect pocket for a gift card.
I did some simple water coloring with reactive inks on the flower to emphasize the closure and to give it a pop of color.
For the other gift card, I used the beautiful Nasturtium stamp set. Instead of doing a partial die cut, I fussy cut the edges, but only at the top flap. I did round the edges of the inside flap to give it a finished look. To make the closure, I used a craft knife to cut along one of the tendrils in the image where I can insert one of the blooms in.
I made the third one even more simple. I gold heat embossed and partially die cut the upper half and for the inside flap, I just place some gold washi tape across and cut a slit on the washi making sure I cut it in such a way that the slit was not visibly seen.
I hope my project inspired you to make some gift cards. I can hardly wait to see what you create for our challenge!
Take care! Stay crafty and stay safe!