Hi there, I’m so glad you’re here! I hope you’re feeling well and staying safe.
I’ve been finding more comfort in crafting than ever, and this month’s watercolor challenge theme has given me extra motivation to practice no-line watercoloring.
For this card, I began by stamping the beautiful Hero Arts and Gina K. Designs Friendship Blooms collaboration stamp set in Gina K’s Warm Glow Amalgam ink onto Fabriano Artistico cold press watercolor paper. Any light colored ink that’s suitable for watercolor would do, I just happen to have been using Warm Glow a lot recently.
Next I got out some red and peach Karin Brushmarker Pro markers: Fire Red, Lipstick Red, and Blush. I scribbled Fire Red onto my glass work surface and then diluted it with a little bit of clean clear water. Then I used a water brush pen to pick up some pigment and then painted it onto the stamped image. Going petal by petal, I concentrated color in the area closest to the center of the flower and then pulled the color out to the tip of the petal. I repeated this for each petal, never working on adjacent petals since it’s important to allow each area to dry before working on the area next to it.
Once I had colored all of the petals I went back in and added details, sometimes with darker-but-still-diluted Lipstick Red, and sometimes with a less diluted Fire Red. I really took my time with this, following along many of the lines that are part of the stamped image. Once this layer was dry, I went back in for a third time, this time with a diluted Blush which I brushed over some of the lighter areas to create just the slightest hint of peach. Note that I took care not to rewet the darker areas, which I didn’t want to reactivate and dilute.
I followed a similar process for the leaves, thought I took a little less care so I could finish them more quickly. For the leaves, I used a mix of Lime Green, Olive Green.
When the panel was almost dry, I put it between two sheets of scrap typing paper and then put a heavy book on top. I find that the typing paper helps absorb some of the very last moisture while the weight of the book flattens the panel. I let that sit for a few hours and then came back to stamp the sentiment in black pigment ink. To finish I adhered the card front to an A2-sized card base.