Hi everyone, Sue here with a post that revolves around the current ABNH Recycling Challenge.
I was given a box of coffee filters from a friend who wasn’t using this style of filter anymore. She thought I could incorporate them in my crafting. They’ve been sitting on the shelf, collecting dust for a long time. So I decided to play around with them and see what I could do.
These are the filters.
The filters are quite thin but surprisingly strong and can handle a fair amount of abuse from lots of ink and water sprayed on them.
I flattened out the filters and ran them through my Vagabond with a steel rule die and with wafer dies. They die cut beautifully and the bonus is you can cut 8 or so filters at once with the steel rule die and 5 with the wafer dies. Some punches work with the filters, some not so much. You have to experiment and see what works for you.
I settled on using a star die and some scalloped circle dies.
After die cutting I sprayed the shapes with some colour mists I made by adding Distress Reinkers with water into my Mini Misters.
The die cuts on the left were randomly sprayed with Wild Honey and Peacock Feathers and then stamped with a Plaid stamp.
The stars were sprayed with Shaded Lilac and stamped with the Woodgrain stamp. This turned out to be my favourite colour because as the filters dried, shades of purple, pink and blue emerged. It was an unexpected bonus.
The small die cuts on the right were sprayed with Salty Ocean and stamped in Bahama Blue ink and the large circles were not sprayed, just stamped with the Leaf and Floral Background.
To make the flowers I began layering and fluffing all the die cuts together, making sure that the pieces did not match up exactly. This adds more volume to the flowers. I also used about 8 layers of filter for each shape size.
Here’s the plaid flower, which used two sizes of scalloped circles.
I used three sizes of stars to make this pretty flower.
This last flower used two sizes of circles.
This was a fun and somewhat addicting project and I was surprised how fast the flowers came together. It may seem like a lot of steps but once you spray the shapes you can zap them with a heat gun and they dry in less than a minute and the stamping goes quickly because you can stamp 4-6 shapes at once.
Before I started with the stamping I tested out different inks to see how they react on the filters and what I learned is that some inks aren’t so good for this proejct. I had the best success with Memento, Versamagic and Brilliance inks. Hero Arts Shadow inks and Distress Inks bled too much and the stamped images became distorted and unrecognizable.
I hope you give this a try. I’d love to see some filter flowers show up on your cards for the Recycle Challenge. You have until August 14th to play along and you get a chance at winning a gift voucher from Simon Says Stamp.
Thanks for visiting with us today.